Auf wiedersehen, adieu

Week 8

This week has been busy. I decided that I had received the requisite number of respondents and began to correlate the data. As my topic (musical theatre exam preparation) is quite niche, I didn’t expect to receive a great number of responses. However, notwithstanding the small number of people I sent it to, I have had a response rate of 60%, which is well above the average rate of response of 10 -15%.

When deciding whether to opt for the development or the dissertation option for my Summer project I must admit that I was a little intimidated by the sheer volume of tasks that needed to be completed for the development route. It does feel as though there are several more steps that need to be completed for development than for dissertation. However, I can appreciate that putting in this work now, will (hopefully) pay off once I begin to develop my e-learning resource. This process has made me realise the range of skills an instructional designer must bring to a job. The key is to be organised and be able to multitask. In addition to drawing up a proposed work schedule, I drew up a proposal schedule.

Here’s a flavour of what I included on my list, in no particular order:

  • Learner analysis
  • Survey questions
  • Collate survey data
  • Interviews with SMEs
  • Task analysis
  • Objective analysis
  • Design screens
  • Interface design
  • References

The key is to be organised. When interviewing one SME, she informed me that their surveys found that teachers were big devotees of checklists. This comes as no surprise to me, as I got great satisfaction from placing a ‘completed’ tick beside each task. I’ve always had a penchant for lists, but this has gone into overdrive with this project. My takeaway from the process of compiling the data for this proposal is that you need to be focused and have a keen eye for detail. I hope I have managed to achieve that in my proposal report.

Au revoir mes amis

Tomorrow is submission day for our collaboration project. Our French colleagues have sent us their final version and we will be submitting our English version tomorrow. We needed to make an adjustment to our document, as the French students found one set of instructions ambiguous. They contacted us early this week and we managed to amend the document to everyone’s satisfaction. In retrospect, I would have preferred more communication with other members of our virtual team. Certain team members were uncommunicative, in spite of several overtures from the UL students. It seems that ours was not an isolated case, although other groups seemed to have well-functioning teams. As an exercise, I found it useful to experience the challenges that virtual teams come across. I am now forearmed about possible future difficulties and have learned a few strategies for avoiding similar problems in the future.

Images: www.pixabay.com

 

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s